Commercial trucks are found on all of Florida’s highways. As a result, the accidents stemming from collisions with these massive vehicles are not only physically dangerous, but they can also be quite challenging to deal with legally when compared to typical car accidents. Truck accidents can lead to serious injuries for the victims, including broken bones, brain injuries, and death. Our team at the Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. has been focusing on the needs of victims injured in truck accidents for over 25 years. We represent clients who have been harmed by the negligence of drivers and trucking companies. We will work to recover your lost wages, medical bills, and fight for compensation for your pain and suffering.
Florida continues to rank high for the most traffic fatalities involving semi-trucks in the U.S. Only two other states have more; however, their overall traffic accident fatalities are also higher. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, truck accident injuries and deaths in the state are three times higher than the national average.
Additionally, a person is injured or killed in an accident with a large truck every 16 minutes each day in the U.S. More than 140,000 people are injured in large truck accidents every year.
If you or a loved one has been injured, seriously hurt, or even killed in a truck accident, contact an experienced Florida truck accident lawyer at Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. for help with your claims. We will fight for the financial compensation to which you are entitled.
Who May Be at Fault in a Truck Accident?
Whenever a commercial truck is involved in a crash, the driver typically comes under immediate suspicion. Commercial trucks are large, heavy, and cumbersome, making them particularly dangerous to any passenger vehicles driving near them. Yes, fault often lies with the truck driver, but some truck accidents may also result from other factors, such as mechanical problems or parts failures. When the failure to inspect or maintain a commercial truck causes an accident, any party responsible for maintaining the vehicle may be found at fault for the resulting crash.
Parties who may share fault in a commercial trucking accident are:
- Truck drivers
- Truck owners
- Truck manufacturers
- Trucking companies
- Truck maintenance companies
- Parties who lease trucks from owners
- Shipping or loading companies
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
What makes truck accidents so tragic is that most of them are preventable. Generally speaking, many motor vehicle accidents are the result of driver error and simple carelessness, and truck accidents are no different. The following factors can cause truck accidents:
- Poor truck maintenance
- Improper cargo loading
- Equipment failure
- Bad weather
- Driver exhaustion
How Do You Seek Financial Compensation for a Truck Accident in Florida?
Regardless of what caused your (or your loved one’s) truck accident and what company is liable, recovering just compensation is a task best handled by an attorney. There are several steps involved, and you will need to rely on the advice and representation of an experienced Florida truck accident lawyer throughout the process. When you choose Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. to handle your case, we will:
- Investigate to Determine the Cause of the Accident – Before you can seek compensation for a truck accident, you need to determine the cause (or causes) of the collision. This requires a prompt and thorough investigation. Our team will work to immediately preserve evidence and obtain witnesses and evidence from various other sources.
- File a Claim Against Each At-Fault Party – Once we determine the cause of the accident, we can decide what claim (or claims) to file. We will file a claim against each at-fault party to seek maximum compensation under Florida law.
- Calculate Your Financial and Non-Financial Costs – Next, we will determine how much compensation you are entitled to recover. This includes compensation for your financial and non-financial costs. We will work with your doctors and other experts to assess your long-term medical needs and place a reasonable dollar value on your pain and suffering, emotional trauma, and other non-financial losses.
- Negotiate for a Fair Settlement – Most successful truck accident cases are resolved via insurance settlements. Once we know how much you are entitled to recover, we will begin the process of negotiating for a fair settlement on your behalf. We will discuss any settlement offers with you in detail so that you can make an informed decision about when (and whether) to accept.
- Go To Court if Necessary – Finally, if necessary, we will take your truck accident case to court. While court cases are less common, we are prepared to aggressively fight for you or your deceased loved ones and go to court when necessary. We have significant experience litigating truck accident cases on behalf of victims and families, and we will not hesitate to fight for just compensation if a fair settlement offer is not on the table.
What You Should (and Should Not) Do After a Serious or Fatal Truck Accident?
To give yourself the best chance of recovering just compensation after a serious or fatal truck accident in Florida, there are several steps you need to take and a few mistakes you should avoid. If you believe you may have a truck accident claim, you should:
Seek Medical Treatment
First and foremost, you should seek medical treatment. See a doctor, follow his or her advice, and focus on your physical and emotional wellbeing.
Take Notes about the Accident
The more information you can share with your Florida truck accident lawyer, the better. With this in mind, take some time to write down everything you can recall about the accident. If you were able to safely take photographs at the scene, provide the photographs of your vehicle, the truck, and the scene to our Firm.
Keep All Records Related to the Accident
From the police report to your (or your loved one’s) medical records, you should be sure to keep all documents you have related to the accident. Start a file to give to your lawyer. Our team will also assist you to obtain these records.
Avoid Talking about the Accident In-Person or Online
For the time being, you should not discuss the accident with anyone except your lawyer. This means that you should avoid talking about the accident with your friends and coworkers, and you should not post about the accident online, or on any social media.
Get Help from a Florida Truck Accident Lawyer
Promptly hiring an experienced Florida truck accident lawyer is the best thing you can do to protect your legal rights. We are available 24/7, and we encourage you to contact us right away.
Why Should You Choose the Florida Truck Accident Lawyers at Spivey Law Firm?
If you need to seek financial compensation for a truck accident in Florida, why should you choose Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A.? Victims and families trust our Florida truck accident lawyers because:
- We focus on handling serious and fatal accident cases. While some law firms handle all types of legal matters, our practice is devoted to representing individuals and families who have suffered catastrophic losses.
- We provide personalized legal representation. As our client, you will receive personalized legal representation focused on maximizing your financial recovery based on your unique individual circumstances.
- We provide experienced representation. Randall L. Spivey, the firm’s president and founder, is Board Certified in civil trial law by the Florida Bar, an honor achieved by less than 1% of Florida lawyers. The Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A., utilizes its team of skilled paralegals, investigators, nurse consultants, and experts to provide experienced and skilled representation in your Florida truck accident case.
- We are passionate about protecting our clients. We understand the challenges accident victims and grieving families can face. We are passionate about doing everything we can to ensure our clients receive the financial compensation they need and deserve.
- We do not back down. Whether we need to apply pressure in settlement negotiations or take your case to court, we will do whatever it takes to make sure you and your family receive just compensation.
Our Truck Accident Cases and Results
We have over 25 years of experience securing favorable settlements and verdicts in truck accident cases. Here are some examples of the results we have obtained for our clients:
- $5.6 million settlement secured for a family who lost a loved one when a trailer broke loose from a commercial truck and crashed into his vehicle.
- $4.9 million settlement secured for an individual who suffered multiple fractures and received a below-the-knee amputation due to an accident involving a box truck.
- $2.75 million settlement secured for a family who lost a loved one when a landscaping truck made an improper U-turn into the path of the victim’s motorcycle.
- $2 million settlement secured for a family for the wrongful death of their 78-year-old mother in a pedestrian accident caused by a tractor-trailer.
- 1 million settlement secured for a truck accident victim who suffered a herniated disc in her lower back.
See more examples of our settlements and verdicts.
Our Contingency Fee Representation and Fee Promise
Our firm handles all truck accident cases on a contingency fee basis. This means (i) your initial consultation is completely free, (ii) you do not have to pay a retainer, and (iii) you do not have to pay monthly legal bills. There are no costs or attorney fees until we receive a monetary recovery for you.
A Florida Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help if You've Been Injured in a Truck Accident in Florida
Considering the number of commercial trucks in use in Florida, accidents occur on a daily basis that are devastating to the victims involved. That said, those operating passenger vehicle drivers are encouraged to avoid driving near big rigs, to the extent possible, as the collisions that can take place can be very serious or even deadly.
If you have been involved in a truck accident in Florida, contact Attorney Randall Spivey at Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. online or by phone at 888-477-4839. He is an experienced Florida truck accident lawyer who will work with you on your various claims and help you recover proper compensation for your injuries. Florida Truck Accident Attorney Randall Spivey is a Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney – the highest recognition for competence bestowed by the Florida Bar and a distinction earned by just one percent (1%) of Florida Attorneys. Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. provides personal contact and communication along with aggressive representation. There are no costs or attorney fees until victims of trucking accidents receive a monetary recovery.