Slip and fall incidents, also known as slip, trip, and fall accidents, are among the most common accidents we experience. It has been estimated that nearly one million people a year visit the emergency room as a result of such accidents. While some falls are simply pure accidents that can't be helped, others are caused by someone's carelessness or negligence.
While slips and falls can happen to anyone, the elderly are at great risk of injury. Older adults are more likely to fall as a result of mobility and balance problems and are also more likely to be injured, seriously hurt, or even killed by their falls.
If you have an elderly loved one who has been the victim of a slip and fall accident, let the experienced slip and fall attorneys at Spivey Law Firm help you fight to recover financial compensation for your injuries.
What Are the Main Causes for Slips and Falls Among the Elderly?
Many slips and falls occur in a home or nursing home, and many of those occur in the bathroom. Water on the floor, slippery tub and shower surfaces, and the lack of grab bars all contribute to slips and falls in the home.
Other main causes of slips and falls among the elderly include:
- Poor lighting
- Cracks or uneven surfaces
- Overgrown shrubs along sidewalks
- Cluttered walkways
- Changes in surfaces
- Lack of handrails on stairs
- Slippery floors
- Appliance cords in walking paths
- Throw rugs
- Loose carpet folds
Did you know:
- The National Institute on Aging notes that yearly, 30% of people over 65 years of age will fall, 10% of which result in serious injuries.
- 60% of all fall-related deaths involve individuals 75 years of age or older.
- Among people over the age of 65, falls account for 87% of all fractures and are the 2nd leading cause of brain injury symptoms and spinal cord injuries.
- Nearly half of all adults over 65 who are hospitalized for hip fractures are unable to return home or live independently.
Contact Our Slip and Fall Attorneys For Help With Your Fall-Related Accident
If you have an elderly loved one who has been the victim of a slip and fall accident, contact Attorney Randall Spivey at Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. online or by phone at 888-477-4839. His slip and fall attorneys will analyze your claim, represent you to the insurance company, present you with options, and take any action necessary. The people who caused the injury to your elderly loved ones should be held accountable.