10 Important Considerations When Selecting a Florida Personal Injury LawyerJuly 30, 2021 | Category: Personal Injury | Share
Every year Florida accident victims seek legal assistance handling their personal injury cases. Some of these accidents are:
- Car accidents
- DUI accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Nursing home/assisted living accidents
- Wrongful death accidents
- Boating accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Swimming accidents
When selecting a lawyer, there are several important things accident victims should consider. The American Bar Association (ABA) recommends accident victims first consider a lawyer’s area of expertise and experience.
Potential clients should ask questions that include:
- Firm’s qualifications - Some law firms handle more than one specialty, whereas others specialize in only personal injury and wrongful death cases.
- Case results – A lawyer should be proud to supply potential clients with samples of his/her jury verdicts and settlements. Accident victims should ask for free copies to review.
- How many cases the firm handles – Some firms handle thousands of cases at the same time. Knowing a firm’s caseload along with the number of attorneys handling the caseload is important to knowing a potential case’s standing with a firm.
- Who specifically will handle the case – When a firm has multiple lawyers, it is important to know specifically who will be handling an accident victim’s case.
- Who will represent the accident victim in settlement negotiations or at trial, and what are that person’s experience, skills, and qualifications – The lawyer handling the case may not be the same person who will represent the victim at settlement or trial. It is important to have this information before deciding on a law firm.
- Is the lawyer Florida board-certified? Only 1 percent of Florida lawyers have achieved Florida board certification. While all lawyers are allowed to advertise, only certified attorneys are allowed to identify themselves as "Florida Bar board certified" or as a "specialist." Certification is the highest level of recognition by the Florida Bar of competency and experience of attorneys in the areas of law approved for certification by the Supreme Court of Florida.
- Honesty, respect, and integrity – Lawyers should always be honest with their clients and not exaggerate or be evasive. They must hold a high level of respect for their clients, the legal system, and their profession. A lawyer should always be on the right side of the law. Martindale-Hubbell awards attorneys the Preeminent Attorney Rating. This rating is the highest rating standard, signifying the greatest level of professional excellence for legal knowledge, communication skills, and ethical standards. The Preeminent Attorney Rating from Martindale-Hubbell shows that a lawyer reached the height of professional excellence and is recognized for the highest level of skill and integrity.
- Compassion, empathy, and rapport – Lawyers must focus on how to get the best results for their clients. To do so, they must be able to see all sides and understand the points of view of all parties. Active listening shows empathy that will bolster a client’s trust and open communication.
- Previous client testimonials and awards – Reviewing a firm’s client testimonials helps potential clients make informed decisions. Achieving professional awards is a sign of expertise and client services. The Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award is awarded based on clients’ compliments in the following areas, communications, ability, responsiveness, quality of service, and monetary value. Less than 4 percent of the 900,000+ attorneys listed on martindale.com and lawyers.com have received this Martindale-Hubbell honor of distinction. This award serves as a point of reference that tells clients and potential clients that others have confidence in his work.
- Peer recognition - Florida Super Lawyersmagazine recognizes outstanding lawyers in Florida for attaining a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. Only 5 percent of the lawyers in Florida are named to the Super Lawyers Top List. The selections for this esteemed list are made by the research team at Super Lawyers. Each year, the research team at Super Lawyers undertakes a rigorous multi-phase selection process that includes a statewide survey of lawyers, independent evaluation of candidates by the attorney-led research staff, a peer review of candidates by practice area, and a good-standing and disciplinary check.
“Should you or a loved one be injured in an accident because of the negligence of another, after seeking medical attention, please contact Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. We have the experienced personal injury/wrongful death legal team to assist you 24/7. There are no costs or attorney fees until we receive a monetary recovery for you,” said Fort Myers Personal Injury Attorney Randall Spivey.
Fort Myers Personal Injury Lawyer, Randall L. Spivey is a Board Certified Trial Attorney – the highest recognition for competence bestowed by the Florida Bar and a distinction earned by just one (1%) percent of Florida attorneys. He has handled over 2,000 personal injury and wrongful death cases throughout Florida. For a free and confidential consultation to discuss your legal rights, contact the Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A., in Lee County at 239.337.7483 or toll-free at 1.888.477.4839, or by email to Randall@SpiveyLaw.com. Visit SpiveyLaw.com for more information. You can contact Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A.in Charlotte County at 941.764.7748 and in Collier County at 239.793.7748.