Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) wants everyone to fight back against misinformation by getting the facts. MADD says the numbers do not lie, and the destructive force of drunk and drugged driving must end.
What are the facts?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported in 2017 (latest available) that nationally:
- A total of 1,147 children 14 and younger were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes. Of those 1,147 fatalities, 220 (19%) occurred in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes. Out of those 220 deaths, 118 (54%) were occupants of vehicles with drivers who had BACs of .08 or higher, and another 29 children (13%) were pedestrians or pedal-cyclists struck by drivers with BACs of .08 or higher. Seventy-one (32%) were occupants of other vehicles, and 2 (1%) were drivers.
- Drunk-driving involvement in fatal crashes in 2017 was almost four times higher at night than during the day.
- Nine percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes during the day were drunk, compared to 32 percent at night. In addition, almost twice as many alcohol-related traffic fatalities occurred during the weekends compared to weekdays.
- Every day about 800 people are injured in a drunk-driving crash.
The Cape Coral Police Department reported on June 9 the DUI arrests between May 28 and June 8, 2020. There were nine people who were involved in crashes; one registered a blood alcohol content (BAC) percentage of .0000 but was later found to be under the influence of drugs; four were charged with a higher penalty for a DUI over a BAC percentage of .15.
WINK News reported on July 1, 2020, that two people are wanted and one was captured in Lee County for DUIs:
· A 32-year-old man who was passed out behind the wheel in a North Fort Myers convenience store parking lot. He was barely coherent when deputies tried to wake him up.
· Another 32-year-old man is wanted on an order revoking pretrial supervision for a second offense for DUI and four counts of DUI causing personal or property damage, with blood alcohol content at more than three times the legal limit. This driver was barreling down Estero Boulevard on Fort Myers Beach when he crashed into one vehicle, causing serious bodily injury.
· A 54-year-old man who was wanted for violation of probation after his fourth DUI conviction was recently captured. It is reported that his most recent drunk-driving incident happened on Veterans Memorial Parkway in Cape Coral where he drove at speeds as fast as 100 mph. An off-duty police officer said the man was swerving dangerously in and out of traffic and even off the shoulder of the road.
The Foundation for Advanced Alcohol Responsibility provides alcohol-impaired driving statistics specifically for Florida as of 2018 (latest available data). This information can be found at: https://www.responsibility.org/alcohol-statistics/state-map/state/florida/.
“The fight against drunk and/or drugged driving is not over. We have seen the devastation caused by drunk and/or drugged driving to families and friends of accident victims. If you or a family member is injured in an accident, please contact Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. after seeking medical attention. We are available to assist you 24/7, and there are no costs or attorney fees until we get a monetary recovery for you,” said Hurt By Drunk Driver Attorney Randall Spivey.
Fort Myers DUI Accident Attorney Randall L. Spivey is a Board Certified Trial Attorney – the highest recognition for competence bestowed by the Florida Bar and a distinction earned by just one percent (1%) of Florida attorneys. He has handled over 2,000 personal injury and wrongful death cases throughout Florida. For a free and confidential consultation to discuss your legal rights, contact Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A., in Lee County at 239.337.7483 or toll-free at 1.888.477.4839, or by email to Randall@SpiveyLaw.com. Visit SpiveyLaw.com for more information. You can contact Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. in Charlotte County at 941.764.7748 and in Collier County at 239.793.7748.