Bicycle sales exploded in Southwest Florida in 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many residents and visitors found that bicycling was a relief from being quarantined. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) reported there were 5,082 bicycle crashes between January 2020 and November 2020 with 127 fatalities.
Florida continues to rank number one in the nation in bicycle accidents. Experts agree that Florida is particularly unsafe for bicyclists because of the following:
- Road Design – Florida’s roads were designed and built with a dangerous combination of a lack of bike lanes, wide roads, and speed limits that encourage drivers to drive faster.
- Driver Distraction – In this technological era, drivers have more opportunities to be distracted. In fact, technology is the main cause of most vehicle/bicycle accidents. Other distractions also cause vehicle/bicycle accidents, such as:
In-vehicle infotainment systems,
Talking with passengers,
Grooming or applying makeup,
Using a GPS or reading a map, and
Manipulating the radio or other controls
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI) – Drunk and/or drugged driving in Southwest Florida has always been a contributor to accidents. This is particularly true when it comes to vehicle/bicycle accidents.
- Florida’s Environment – Florida’s beautiful year-round weather and scenic environment encourages more bicyclists to be outside riding.
- Population Growth – The 2015 U.S. Census Bureau estimated that Florida reached a population of 20,271,272. S. News and World Report stated on April 26, 2021, that Florida is the nation’s third most populous state behind California and Texas. With population growth comes more vehicle/bicycle traffic on our roads, which causes more bicycle accidents.
“Bicyclists who are injured because of the negligence of another are entitled under Florida law to seek compensation. Our Fort Myers accident attorneys hold drivers accountable. Under Florida law, if a driver's negligence causes an accident with serious or fatal injuries, that driver is liable for the loss. Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. assists clients by devising a legal strategy to show accident victims are entitled to compensation so they can fully recover any damages. If you are injured in a bicycle accident caused by a negligent driver, please contact our firm after seeking medical attention. We are available to assist you 24/7, and there are no costs or attorney fees until we receive a monetary compensation for you,” said Fort Myers Accident Attorney Randall Spivey.
Fort Myers Bicycle Accident Attorney Randall L. Spivey is a Board Certified Trial Attorney – the highest recognition for competence bestowed by the Florida Bar and a distinction earned by just one percent (1%) of Florida attorneys. He has handled over 2,000 personal injury and wrongful death cases throughout Florida. For a free and confidential consultation to discuss your legal rights, contact Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A, in Lee County at 239.337.7483 or toll-free at 1.888.477.4839, or by email to Randall@SpiveyLaw.com. Visit SpiveyLaw.com for more information. You can contact Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. in Charlotte County at 941.764.7748 and in Collier County at 239.793.7748.