According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD):
- Every day there are 300,000 incidents where adults drink too much and drive.
- There are 390,000 injured victims every year.
- There are 28 deaths every day, which equates to one death every 51 minutes.
"Drunk driving comes with a cost, and it is one that robs us of mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, spouses, and friends,” says MADD.
MADD was founded forty years ago, in 1980. Its mission is to “end drunk driving, help fight drugged driving, support the victims of these violent crimes, and prevent underage drinking.”
In support of its mission, MADD helped pass laws in 2019 to strengthen its efforts to save lives. Some of those laws are listed below:
- Passed all-offender ignition interlock laws in two states.
- Passed interlock incentive laws in three states. According to MADD’s court monitoring report released this year, less than two-thirds of people arrested for drunk driving are convicted of the original charge.
- Deterred impaired driving in one state. MADD helped defeat legislation that would have outlawed sobriety checkpoints in the state. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), sobriety checkpoints reduce drunk driving by 20 percent.
- Protected children and advocated for victims' rights.
“Drunk driving is 100 percent preventable. At Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A., we have seen the devastation caused by drunk driving. Numerous injuries and even deaths occur because a driver negligently drove while intoxicated. Just a few of the drunk-driving cases we have handled are listed below,” said Fort Myers DUI Accident Attorney Randall Spivey.
- A DUI accident victim in Fort Myers received brain injuries when a drunk driver crossed the center line.
- A jury decided in favor of a car accident victim who received fractures to his hip, pelvis, and both feet because of the negligence of a drunk driver in Collier County.
- A woman’s car was hit by a drunk driver in Naples, and she injured her neck and back.
- A motorcyclist lost his vision and sustained other injuries because a drunk driver crossed a centerline and came in his path in Port Charlotte,
“Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. represent people involved in numerous types of personal injury and wrongful death accidents throughout the state of Florida. All of our clients have unique personal injury cases. Our firm provides personal contact and communication along with aggressive representation. We are available 24/7 to assist victims, and there are no costs or attorney fees until we receive monetary recovery for you,” said Attorney Spivey.
Fort Myers DUI Accident Attorney Randall L. Spivey is a Board Certified Trial Attorney – the highest recognition for competence bestowed by the Florida Bar and a distinction earned by just one percent (1%) of Florida attorneys. He has handled over 2,000 personal injury and wrongful death cases throughout Florida. For a free and confidential consultation to discuss your legal rights, contact Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A., in Lee County at 239.337.7483 or toll-free at 1.888.477.4839, or by email to Randall@SpiveyLaw.com. Visit SpiveyLaw.com for more information. You can contact Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. in Charlotte County at 941.764.7748 and in Collier County at 239.793.7748.