What to Do After a Slip-and-Fall Accident in Fort Myers Florida?January 6, 2022 | Category: Slip and Fall Accidents | Share
The National Floor Safety Institute reports that falls account for over 8 million (23 percent) of hospital emergency room visits. When there is a wet floor in a hotel, grocery store, bar, or shopping mall, pedestrians may fall and be injured, changing their and their families’ lives forever.
The Fort Myers slip-and-fall attorneys at Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. have experience in assisting accident victims when they slip and fall because of the negligence of others on public property, private property, or public businesses.
Actions Fort Myers slip-and-fall lawyers suggest victims take after an accident
There is often commotion surrounding slip-and-fall accidents which may cause accident victims to forget some of the details of the accident. However, there are particularly important steps accident victims should take to protect their rights after a fall including:
- Taking photos of the accident scene showing whatever circumstances may have led to the fall. Property owners may be quick to remove any evidence of conditions that could have caused a slip-and-fall accident.
- Promptly seeking medical attention even if they feel they are uninjured and keeping all follow-up appointments.
- Immediately reporting the accident to the property owner or manager.
- If there were witnesses to the fall, gathering information including names and contact information.
- Documenting everything they can remember. Keeping a journal after an accident can be important to show how slip-and-fall accident victims were feeling and how any injuries affected their lives.
- Preserving the scene is especially important. Washing any shoes or some of the clothing worn at the time of the accident may destroy evidence of the fall such as residue from any substance causing the fall.
- Do not wait to get legal advice. Call the Fort Myers slip-and-fall lawyers at Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. “Under Florida's statute of limitations for personal injury cases, slip-and-fall accident victims have four years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. If the accident involves a death, they have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. However, we strongly encourage victims of slip-and-fall accidents to contact us as soon as possible so that necessary evidence can be collected and preserved,” said Fort Myers Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Randall Spivey.
Type of injuries Fort Myers slip-and-fall lawyers say may happen because of an accident
There are different types of slip-and-fall injuries that can occur including soft tissue injuries that may not outwardly be visible until weeks after an accident. Cuts and bruises may be evident to paramedics responding to the scene, but head injuries may be more difficult to diagnose.
Property owners’ negligence in slip-and-fall accidents
Private, public, and business property owners have a legal responsibility to maintain their premises to avoid their customers from being injured. When investigating slip-and-fall accidents, Spivey Law Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.A. often find that they did not follow proper cleaning and maintenance procedures. They could have easily prevented many accidents by having a set policy of maintenance and inspection.
Compensation in a slip-and-fall accident case
Victims of slip-and-fall accidents because of the negligence of a private, public, or business property owner can be compensated for current and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other potential compensation, such as lost wages, loss of earning capacity, and incidental expenses because of the accident.